Delaware Press Association invites current and aspiring communications professionals to get their burning questions answered by panelists on the subject of Freelancing Today: Pitching, Producing, Publishing and Getting Paid for Your Work on Wednesday, November 14, 2012. This free event begins with networking and light refreshments at 6:30 p.m., followed by a 90-minute program beginning at 7:00 p.m. at the Woodlawn Library, 2020 West Ninth Street, Wilmington, Delaware. Members and non-members are asked to register before November 12 by visiting http://dpa-nov2012.eventbrite.com/. The meeting is open to the public.
Writers, photographers, graphic artists, public relations consultants and other creative professionals will have the opportunity to learn from their experienced peers, as well as those who hire freelancers in the local market. Panelists include:
· Maria Hess, Moderator, Editor-in-Chief, Delaware Today
· Tom Byrne, News Director, WDDE 91.1 FM Delaware First Media
· Amy Cherry, Assistant News Director/Reporter/Anchor, 1150 AM WDEL Delmarva Broadcasting
· Mark Fowser, News Director, Delaware 105.9 FM Delmarva Broadcasting
· Karen Galanaugh, APR, PR specialist/screenwriter, Galanaugh & Company, LLC
· Pam George, Master Freelance Writer
· Bob Yearick, freelance writer/editor; contributing editor Out & About Magazine
Topics of discussion are expected to range from how to get a foot in the door as a freelancer, to how to build a client list and portfolio; from how to craft a successful pitch to a media outlet, to who makes the hiring decisions about freelancers.
For questions about the program, contact Jeff Jackson, Vice President of Programs, DPAPrograms@hotmail.com.
About Delaware Press Association
Delaware Press Association, an affiliate of the National Federation of Press Women since 1977, is a network of more than 150 journalists, broadcasters, public relations specialists, graphic designers, photojournalists, educators, authors, poets and freelancers who are dedicated to the highest standards of excellence in communication and to protecting First Amendment freedoms.
IF YOU GO:
WHAT: “Freelancing Today: Pitching, Producing, Publishing and Getting Paid for Your Work”
WHEN: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 6:30 p.m. Networking, 7 – 8:30 p.m. Program
WHERE: Woodlawn Library, 2020 West Ninth Street, Wilmington, Delaware. 19805
COST: FREE and Open to the Public
- Delaware Law is Big Business- Gellert Scali Busenkell & Brown Opens in Wilmington Delaware
- Where do you go to vote in Delaware?